Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness with the support and collaboration of the Center for Mindfulness of the University of Oxford will organize the Foundational Training Module 1 & 2 in MBCT, between the 26 April - 2 May 2020 in a 6 day intensive format training that will include:
Module 1: MBCT Experiential
Trainees are led through the MBCT course so trainees can learn MBCT from the ‘inside out.’ This can be through a weekly 8-week MBCT course or in an intensive 2-5 day format (for those who have already participated in an 8- week MBCT course). At Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness with the support of the Oxford Mindfulness center this module will take place in a intensive residential format with Module 2.
Module 2. Intensive Foundational Training 1 - Beginning to teach MBCT.
The module involves: teaching on theory underpinning MBCT (including cognitive science formulation), research, evidence base, ethical framework and the MBCT curriculum; learning to lead the main mindfulness practices and support clients in learning and developing mindfulness practices in pairs; learning to lead the main aspects of the MBCT course and support clients’ learning. Much of this module works with dyads taking turns as trainee teacher and learner, as trainees learn to teach the main MBCT practices and curriculum elements (‘teach-backs’). This is normally in at least a 3-day format, but more time enables greater depth of teaching and learning. Trainee teachers should prepare by carefully reading the MBCT Teacher Manual (‘Green Book’) and the Mindful Way Workbook.
The intention of this 6-day training is to provide participants with an opportunity to directly experience the 8-session programme of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), learn about the theoretical underpinnings, and practice teaching. Participants should have first met all the prerequisites for training to be a teacher.
You will experience the 8-session programme of MBCT, and have the opportunity to practise teaching elements of the programme to one another in pairs, with feedback from the trainers and each other. Participants are expected to have some prior knowledge and experience of mindfulness and of cognitive therapy, and to have a serious interest in bringing MBCT into their lives and work.
The training is an introduction to teaching MBCT, covering Modules 1 and 2 of the training pathway. Attendance will not necessarily mean that you can now teach MBCT, but is an integral part of the pathway to developing competency and ethical practice as described by the Good Practice Guidelines for teachers.
This training will be of particular interest to clinical psychologists and other mental health professionals with training and experience in CBT who wish to train to teach MBCT in clinical settings
There are a number of pre-requisites to apply for the professional training in MBCT:
1. An experiential understanding of mindfulness through personal mindfulness practice. This would normally be for at least a year before entering the training pathway. There could be some flexibility here, but it will be evaluated individually.
2. Participation in a structured 8-week MBCT (or MBSR) course as a participant before applying to the training. This is to understand the course experientially, including regular practice of the core mindfulness practices taught in MBCT.1
3. The knowledge and key competencies to deliver a structured therapeutic approach. This would normally include a (professional) qualification(s) that enables the people to teach MBCT safely and effectively with their own target population, and in their own planned teaching context. For example, teaching MBCT for depression would require a professional qualification in a mental health discipline that provides the knowledge and skills essential to ethical clinical practice, including: experience of using structured, evidence-based therapeutic approaches to mental health such as cognitive-behavioural therapy; experience of working with clinical populations; and the ability to identify and manage risk. People with an interest in teaching MBCT to other populations and/or in non-clinical contexts might also be suitable to participate in training. However, an evaluation of the fit of their educational and vocational background with the intended population/context would be required. This may require additional training alongside the training pathway (for example, ethics and safeguarding/risk assessment and management).
4. Knowledge and experience of the population to which MBCT will be delivered, including experience of teaching, therapeutic, or other care provision.
5. Skills to work with individuals and groups.
Ideally trainees’ pre-requisites would be in place before entering the training pathway and foundational training would take place over at least a year to enable knowledge, skills and mindfulness practice to develop alongside one another in preparation for teaching MBCT.
The training is oriented to professionals who are willing to complete the professional training in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and who have completed all the required pre-requisites for the training, including introduction to CBT. The training is suitable for mental health professionals (psychologists, psychiatrists, etc) and those who are aiming to teach MBCT in non-clinical settings, such as education, workplace, general population.
More information here
- 26th April -
11.00am - 12.30pm: Arrival & Registration
12.30pm - 13.30pm: Lunch
2.00pm - 7.30pm: Welcome, Orientation Session and Beginning of Training
7.30pm - 8.30pm: Dinner
8.30pm - 9.30pm: Practice and Reflections
- 27, 28, 29, 30 April & 1st May -
Each day begins with morning practice at 7.30am which is followed by silent breakfast before starting the training sessions at 9.30am. The days typically end with some time for practice and reflection ending at 9.15pm.
- 2nd May-
7.30 am Morining Practice, followed by Training Session that ends at 12.30pm
12.30pm - 1.30pm: Lunch
1.30 - 3.00pm:Closing Session
Marion Furr is a Chartered Occupational Psychologist and Mindfulness Teacher who trained to teach Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programs at Bangor University and Oxford University. Since 2011, as Chair of the staff Health & Wellbeing at the Department of Health in London, she has personally introduced Mindfulness to more than 3,000 colleagues in the UK Civil Service. In 2016 Marion moved to Portugal where she continues her role as a member of the Board of Trusteesat the Oxford Mindfulness Centre and as a member of the steering group of the Mindfulness Initiative- a project that aims to raise awareness about how mindfulness can benefit society. Marion guides Mindfulness programs at individual and group level in her home in the Algarve. She is also an executive coach using psychometric and mindfulness approaches for individuals, groups, and organizational development . Marion is on the UK register of Mindfulness based teachers and is governed by, and meets the standards set by the British Psychological Society and the Health and Care Professions Council.
The training will be taught in English with no simultaneous translation into Portuguese.
Casa da Torre, Soutelo, Vila Verde, Braga, Portugal (info here)
The accommodation at Casa da Torre is in individual and double rooms with private bathroom. The rooms are not luxurious, but rather very simple with all the comfort for you to have a pleasant and peaceful stay during the retreat. The Center has several gardens in the exterior that you can use during the entire duration of the retreat. It also has a beautiful terrace with an amazing view over an extensive natural area.
* Casa da Torre is a Jesuit Monastery and the choice of this type of retreat center is not because of the religious thematic of the place, which is not essential for a mindfulness retreat but rather because it meets several criteria that we find important for a retreat: silence, simplicity, high number of single rooms with private bathrooms available and great quality of the meals (variables that are requested for many of the people that are interested in our services)
Meals are vegetarian and they will include: complete breakfast, lunch and dinner.
If you need any special adaptation in terms of meals please let us know.
1. Teaching: 1350 euros + VAT (23%) = 1660,50 euros
2. Accomodation & Meals*: 285 euros**
* Meals include breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as 24hr bar where you can have coffee, tea and biscuits
**This value is paid directly to the retreat center on the first day of the training.
The limit date for registration is the 15 February 2020. After this date we won’t accept any further registrations.
The number of places is limited to 12 participants, so we advise your registration as soon as possible.
To register in the retreat:
Send an email to email@example.com including:
- Tthe name and date of the event you want to register
- Complete the application form that you can find here
- Curriculum Vitae
- Intention letter informing your professional training path and professional experience, experience teaching groups, personal development in the area of mindfulness and motivation to start training in MBCT
- Copies of the documents confirming your professional training and personal development in the area of mindfulness (i.e., letter of participation in a MBCT or MBSR program)
- Payment of 50 euros for registration which should be completed using the following bank details
IBAN: PT50 0035 0158 00018441030 71
BIC SWIFT: CGDIPTPL
BANK: CAIXA GERAL DE DEPÓSITOS (CGD)
Please send us the document confirming your payment. This value is not reembursable if you are not accepted in the training and it is not dedutable from the full tuition if you are accepted in the training.
Your application form will be received and we will produce an email confirming the reception of you registration. Confirmation of you acceptance in the training will be sent to you as soon as possible (around mid July maximum). At this stage all the information will be sent regarding payment of the full tuition of the training.
- If yourregistration is canceled until the 1 January 2020 you will receive a full reimbursement of the retreat minus an administration fee of 50 euros. After this date we won’t make any reimbursements.
- If the event is canceled due to an unexpected reason, Ser Integral: Centro Português de Mindfulness, will provide a reimbursement of 100% of the value paid for the training, but we won’t be responsible for any other costs (i.e., travelling and accommodation) associated with your participation in the training.
All participants that complete ALL sessions of the program will receive a certificate of attendance from the Oxford Mindfulness Center. Participants are requestes to be present to all sessions since the beginning of the training until the last day. Please plan you travels to arrive on time to be present for the Opening Session on the first day and leave only after the end of the Closing session. This is compulsory.
- The MBCT training will occur with a minimum and maximum number of participants (limited places available). In the eventuality of the retreat not having the minimum registrations established Se Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness will have to cancel the event.
- Please bring confortable clothing, a meditation cushion, yoga mat and blankets for your own comfort in the practice room. Also bring confortable walking shoes to use on the gardens/forest and you might also be interested in bringing a mosquito repellent.
- The program is subject to minor changes according to the needs met during the retreat.
- The room has bed sheets, towels, blankets, but you should bring all the toiletries that you usually need (e.g., shampoo, soap, etc)
- Individual rooms are limited and they will be offered on first registration basis. The cost of a private room per person is the same as a double room per person.
How to get here?
Please see the information on: http://casadatorre.org/arrive/arrive.html
The closest airport is PORTO (OPO). From here you can rent a car to drive to Vila Verde (use the GPS coordinates and address below), take a taxi to the Bus Station in Porto (http://www.renex.pt/, Address: Campo Mártires da Pátria, 37, Porto) to get a bus from Porto to Braga and from Braga please see the details below:
By Bus: Between 7am and 8.15pm you can find several buses that leave the Bus Central Station of Braga to Vila Verde, Arcos and Monção. You need to get out at the stop – Rio Homem, make a left and you will have Casa da Torre ahead (with a big gate).
By Taxi: From the Central Bus Station or Train Station of Braga to Casa da Torre you will pay around 12 euros.
By Car: GPS coordinates :41º36’.08”N 8º26’17.05”W or the address: Casa da Torre, Avenida Viscondes da Torre, nº 80 4730-570 Soutelo – Vila Verde.
By Shuttle: Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness will organize shuttles from the airport to the retreat center if a minimum number of participants from other countries registers in the retreat. There will be a fee for this service (to be determined).
At what time should I arrive? When will we finish?
Arrival is on the 16th of February between 11am and 12.30pm so that we can process your arrival and registration. You will then be assigned to your room and we will meet at the practice room at 2pm for an orientation session. In the last day of the retreat we will have lunch at the retreat center and after this we will all leave the retreat center.
Is there wireless and mobile phone connection?
Yes there is free wireless and mobile phone connection at the retreat center.
Is it possible to arrive earlier or stay after the retreat ends?
Yes, if you need more nights at the retreat center you have to contact Casa da Torre directly.
What do I need to bring?
It is advised to bring confortable clothing, a meditation cushion, a yoga mat and blankets for your comfort during the practices. The room has bed sheets, towels, blankets, but you should bring all the toiletries that you usually need (e.g., shampoo, soap, etc). Also bring confortable walking shoes to use on the gardens/forest and you might also be interested in bringing a mosquito repellent.
Our events are displayed on Eventslist.org